The Citadel Theatre, one of Canada’s largest and busiest professional, not-for-profit theatre companies and facilities, has an opening for a Director of Education and Outreach. We are looking for a creative, organized, self-motivated leader who understands the importance of arts education, is passionate about theatre and can confidently lead a team and strategy that builds growth and community engagement.
Reporting to the Associate Artistic Director, the Director of Education and Outreach will oversee the company’s Foote Theatre School, Young Companies, Education Outreach to schools and general public. As a member of the Leadership Team, the successful candidate will actively participate in developing and growing a culture that supports a positive and productive work environment and an engaged team, while meeting our commitments to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Access. The Director of Education and Outreach is expected to participate in fostering team building, team development and to support the Artistic Director and the Associate Artistic Director in achieving the Citadel Theatre’s strategic plan objectives.
Responsibilities and Expectations:
- In consultation with the Artistic and Executive Directors, develop plans for the Foote Theatre School (FTS) and Young Companies (YC)
- Program and oversee the artistic/educational components of the FTS and YC
- Develop policies and strategies for the maintenance and enhancement of FTS and YC within the parameters of the Citadel Theatre’s Strategic Plan
- Develop an online Education and Outreach strategy to increase access and opportunities
- Recruit, hire, train, supervise, and coach a diverse group of FTS and YC staff, assistants, designers and instructors that meets or exceeds our commitments to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion(EDI)
- Ongoing evaluation of curriculum, programming, and instruction
- Create and develop online educational opportunities to allow for greater geographical reach of The Citadel and Foote Theatre School.
- Maintain knowledge/stay informed of current educational, theatrical and EDI ideas and developments
- Prepare annual FTS and YC budget and monitor spending
- Prepare reports as required (Board, funders, sponsors, year-end, etc.)
- Review of scholarship and bursary applications and the awarding of financial assistance to selected applicants
- Respond to questions and concerns from instructors, parents, and students regarding curriculum, programming, and course material
- Manage and review all instructor correspondence regarding programming, course structure, and students
- Work with the Marketing Department to promote FTS, YC, Students’ Club, and School Matinees activities
- In collaboration with marketing and sales team build relationships with schools and educators to promote the FTS, YC, Students’ Club, and School Matinees
- Organize and Develop Students’ Club pre-show activity topics/themes and Talk backs
- Implement the yearly event for Students’ Club/School Matinee Teachers
- Explore and/or support opportunities for outreach
- Assist programing and organizing external community events
Qualifications & Skills:
- Post-secondary arts or education training is an asset.
- Experience as an arts professional
- Educational pedagogical training and experience would be an asset
- Excellent communicator
- Ability to thrive in a continually changing, fast-paced environment and work with a diverse group of people, programs, events and situations.
- Demonstrated ability to create and manage budgets.
- Passionate about inclusive and diverse workplaces.
- Self-motivated with the ability to multi-task, problem solve, and prioritize responsibility in a timely and efficient manner.
- An enthusiastic attitude of “yes” – dedicated to being a problem solver.
This is a full-time position with an annual salary of $60,000 and a benefit package that starts after the probationary period. Must be available to work evenings and weekends. Some flexibility in hours is possible around other commitments.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to email their resume and cover letter to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org
Posting will remain open until June 20, 2021 or until a suitable candidate is found.
The Citadel Theatre is committed to having our team reflect the community it serves and actively welcome applicants from diverse and equity-seeking backgrounds. The Citadel also endeavors to create and guard a culture of respect and cooperation with all staff, artists, colleagues, volunteers and internal / external parties.
Thank you for your interest but only those persons chosen for interviews will be contacted. No telephone calls please.